Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Umm, I did it.....

(drafted at 2.30 in the mornin of 22nd july)
Its my last night at IITD. It is a good thing because it means soon I will be flying back to my folks at home whom I have missed like hell. And by folks, I mean my pets too!!! And it is a bad thing because I'll miss this place and also I do not have the slightest idea on how to finish my report, get it printed, bind it and submit it tomorrow, all within a time frame of 10hours
I walk again to the reception I mentioned in my last post, with a fat book, hoping desperately it will tell me how to get perfect uniform sinusoids out of the mess I have created, which looked like I have put together every simulink block that impressed me without understanding what it really did. My first output was like a 2 year child's sketch across a wall--jagged colourful RYB current waveforms that had taken the liberty to go wherever they wished to on my scope screen. The starting transients sure would have blown off the top of a generator....I was glad I was working on a virtual platform. Anyways, I tweaked my model, doing major desperate replacements like using a PID instead of a hysterisis controller. That helped somewhat and I got something this time that looked like- atleast a distant relative of a sinusoid! Happy, I tweaked it even more and this time, it was a straight line- fixed at zero. I ran the model again and again, with silent prayers, harnessing a wild hope that as it happens with the hero's heartbeat line in typical bollywood movies, my model's straight line would give a blip and transform into a beautiful 50Hz 1pu sinusoid. But I guess Mathworks didn't have time for mushy bollywood stuff.
Fact is, Electrical Machines, my project area, does not interest me much, so I deviated. But that is a different story!
So I stretch out on the couch with my book but I am hardly in the mood to study. So I check out the IEEE newsletter, which features an interview of Gordon Day and Joseph Lillie, candidates for 2011 IE3 presidentship. It is boring like hell, the only small ha-ha line was when Day was asked about his favourite college memory and he replied "Visiting the college library to talk to the librarian (I married her)". Ha-aah-yawwwwn!!!
I switch over to IE3 spectrum and read about a "barbecue savior"- a thing that uses 8 cameras and powerful lasers that tracks and zap down mosquitoes. My tired mind calculates that the thing costs roughly about--10lakhs or more. What shit! If people came to my barbecue party I would do no more than giving out cheap fly swatters!!
I decide what to do next. I have already had my coffee, finished TOI, HT and Hindu, IE3 newsletters, todays' sudoku. Even the stream of babes returning to hostel has thinned (oh, please, stop thinking what you are thinking--beauty should be appreciated anyway). Even the female night guard here is taciturn. I am bored. So why the hell am I up, right? No, I am not trying to "seep in iitd". Fact is, I want to get that Jen look again. I want to look pitiable to my prof tommorrow as I make a helpless-puppy face and beg for my certificate. If that doesn't help, I don't know what else will!!

3 comments:

  1. You write ok. You have the right word to describe your wok. But would have enjoyed more if I were tech savvy!
    Sudhanshu Uncle

    ReplyDelete
  2. could not get head or tail of it. Hope in next birth i will be a crazy , stupid engineer, and understand a fraction of it. Till then good bye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ma!! I know what u mean, grrrrrrrrr.........

    ReplyDelete